Altrix Rapid Thickener 3kg
Sorry, this product is sold out!
Altrix Rapid Thickener 3kg
About Vitamins.co.nz Altrix Rapid Thickener 3kg
Altrix Rapid Thickener is specially formulated for people with difficulty swallowing (dysphagia). Quickly and easily thickens a variety of hot and cold drinks and foods to a consistency that will be safe to swallow. With barely any flavour, Altrix Rapid Thickener truly lets you once again enjoy the good things in life each and every day. The final mixed consistency of Altrix Rapid Thickener will not be affected by enzymes in saliva (amylase resistant) and, being extremely stable, the formulation will not change consistency over time.
- Quick and easy to dissolve
- Mixes in hot and cold food and drink
- Available in 300g and 3Kg Tubs
- Does not alter taste of food or drink
- Does not thicken over time
- Not broken down by enzymes in saliva
- Gluten and lactose free
- Cold Drinks (less than 10°C): Cold drinks may require additional stirring. For best results stir continuously for 1-2 minutes, or until powder is dissolved. Cold milk may require additional stirring of the drink for Mildly Thick consistency. Alternatively, make up the drink to a Moderately Thick consistency as per the instructions. Add an equal volume of additional milk at this stage to achieve a Mildly Thick consistency.
- Hot Drinks (less than 70°C): You can add Altrix Rapid Thickener directly to hot beverages. Prepare tea or coffee or similar beverage as per normal, then add Altrix Rapid Thickener as per the instructions.
- Soft Drinks: For best results, stir drinks such as beer or soft drinks with a spoon/fork before adding Altrix Rapid Thickener to remove some of the carbonation, then add Altrix Rapid Thickener as per the instructions.
Altrix Rapid Thickener is suitable for thickening a variety of hot and cold beverages, pureed foods such as meats, vegetables, fruit and sauces. Do not add to boiling liquids, and always add Altrix Rapid Thickener to the liquid in accordance with the instuctions to avoid clumping. The following method works well with powdered supplements:
- Place 200ml (or recommended amount) of the liquid into a cup
- Add 1 scoop of Altrix Rapid Thickener
- Stir with a fork until thickened
- Add powdered supplement while stirring with a fork until product is fully mixed in
- Allow to stand 2 minutes
- Add additional thickener if required. Allow to stand for 2 minutes after each addition.
This method will ensure a product which is between Mildly Thick and Moderately Thick without the need to add extra thickener. If thickener is added to the prepared supplement then it will not thicken to the same degree as this method.
Storage: Store in a cool, dry place. Ensure you use the scoop provided for best results, and that it is clean and dry when using. Refrigerate any unused thickened product for up to 24 hrs at or below 4°C, or discard any unfinished thickened foods or liquids. Thickened food can be cooled or frozen and reheated without any change to the consistency.
Shelf Life: Two years. For the best before date, see bottom of jar/container.
Altrix Rapid Thickener 3kg
Amount Quantity Per Serve
Amount Per 200ml water made up, with 1 scoop Altrix Rapid Thickener (203.6g)
Amount Per 1 scoop: (3.6g)
- less than 1g
- Less Than 0.1g
- Less Than 0.1g
- Less Than 1g
How to use: Altrix Rapid Thickener is suitable for thickening a variety of hot and cold beverages, pureed foods such as meats, vegetables, fruit and sauces. Do not add to boiling liquids, and always add Altrix Rapid Thickener to the liquid in accordance with the instuctions to avoid clumping.
- Measure the required amount of liquid or food into a container. In a separate container, measure the amount of level scoops of Altrix Rapid Thickener.
- While stirring with a fork, add the Altrix Rapid Thickener all at once to the food or drink and stir until fully dissolved.
- Allow to stand for 2 minutes before consuming.
1 Litre Use a whisk or stick blender if required for larger volumes. Product can be made up to 8 hours in advance. Store in the refrigerator.
What is Altrix Rapid Thickener For?
Altrix Rapid Thickener is for use in the treatment of people with swallowing difficulties / dysphagia.
What are swallowing difficulties/dysphagia?
Dysphagia is the medical term for having difficulty in being able to pass food safely and efficiently from the mouth to the stomach. This can result in food or liquids entering the “wrong tube” and going into the airway.
What are the symptoms of swallowing difficulties/dysphagia?
Symptoms may include:
- Persistent difficulty in swallowing food and taking a long time to eat
- Feeling like food is sticking in the throat
- Coughing/choking while eating food or drinking
- Drooling or slurred speech
- Wet or gurgly voice after eating or drinking
- Recurrent chest infections or unexplained temperatures
- Pocketing of food in the cheeks, or food spilling from the mouth
- Loss of appetite and/or weight loss
How is swallowing affected?
Difficulties with swallowing can occur in the mouth, the space at the back of the throat (pharynx), the tube that takes food from the pharynx to the stomach (oesophagus), or the stomach itself. It may be a combination of these things that prevent someone from eating or swallowing normally. Swallowing difficulties can cause the food and drink to enter the windpipe (trachea) and end up in the lungs or airway instead of going into the stomach via the oesophagus.
What are the causes of swallowing difficulties/dysphagia?
Some conditions which can lead to swallowing difficulties/dysphagia
- Neurological disease such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s
- Head and neck cancers
- Head injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Head and neck surgery patients
- Persistent Reflux
What can be done for swallowing difficulties/dysphagia?
Anyone with persistent swallowing difficulties should be assessed by a clinician such as a Doctor, Dietitian, or Speech Language Therapist, for correct diagnosis of dysphagia. Depending on the causes of dysphagia the treatment may include
- Referral to Speech Language Therapist (SLT) for assessment and management plan
- Evaluation of dietary needs by a Dietitian, in consultation with the medical staff and SLT
- Potential diet changes and a person may need to follow a texture modified diet and use thickened fluids to help control and aid swallowing
What is Altrix Rapid Thickener?
Altrix Rapid Thickener is a starch (potato) and gum (xanthan) based powder that is capable of thickening a variety of foods and liquids, quickly and without lumping. Available in 300g jars and a 3kg bulk pack, Altrix Rapid Thickener is gluten and lactose free and won’t thicken over time, or be broken down by enzymes in the saliva.
How can Altrix Rapid Thickener help?
Altrix Rapid Thickener can be added to a variety of drinks and foods to thicken these products, making them easier to control in the mouth and helping the person to swallow more efficiently and safely.
Can anyone use Altrix Rapid Thickener?
Altrix Rapid Thickener is not recommended for anyone under 3 years of age. It is recommended that Altrix Rapid Thickener be used with the advice of a health professional.
What can Altrix Rapid Thickener thicken?
Altrix Rapid Thickener can thicken a variety of liquids including. Altrix Rapid Thickener can also be used to thicken pureed foods and help the food to keep shape and form. Bulk fluids can also be prepared and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. For a reference guide to thickening click here
- Milk Drinks
- Hot drinks such as tea and coffee
- Soft Drinks
- Beer and wine
What does Altrix Rapid Thickener taste like?
Altrix Rapid Thickener is designed to impart little or no flavour or colour on the food and drink products. It can only just be detected when mixed with water. In addition, it won’t break down due to enzymes in saliva so you can be assured that while feeding the texture of the food and consistency of fluids will remain the same.
How easy is it to use Altrix Rapid Thickener?
Altrix Rapid Thickener mixes and dissolves easily into a range of liquid and food products and reaches the desired consistency within 2 minutes. For best results following the mixing instructions here. Altrix Rapid Thickener can also be used to thicken a variety of supplemental foods that may have been prescribed or indicated by a health care professional.